.

.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pokémon Y journal - entry zero


As I post this, we are now less than a week away from the release of the sixth generation of Pokémon games. Much like my previous Pokémon playthroughs, I plan to keep a journal running for the duration of my experience with Pokémon Y’s core game. However, unlike my playthroughs of Platinum or my recent replays of Soul Silver, I don’t have a core team nailed down yet. I want my experience with Pokémon Y to be a pure adventure with plenty of exploration of the Kalos region and experimentation with all sorts of new Pokémon matchups, much like I did when I first played through Pokémon White. That said, there are some Pokémon that are already proving quite appealing based on both physical appearances and typings, and what follows is a list of a few Pokémon I’m looking to integrate into my core team.

I already know that my starter will be Froakie. In fact, I’ve known that since around the time X and Y were first revealed – it was basically a tie between Fennekin and Froakie from the start, but I gradually began to lean more toward the water starter. Eventually the second stage evolutions were revealed, and Frogadier’s suave look compared to Braixen and Quilladin's obtuse designs sealed the deal. As for the other two starters that will be available, I have no intention of using either the generation I starter nor the special downloadable Torchic for the main game. Mega Blaziken may come in handy for any postgame competitive play I opt to take part in, and I imagine that Mega Charizard/Venusaur/Blastoise might follow suit, but I’ve used Charmander, Bulbasaur, and all the generation III starters in previous Pokémon playthroughs, and I don’t really care to retread territory that is too familiar.

The second Pokémon that I know I will be using with absolute certainty is Honedge. Ghost types and Steel types have become some of my favorites since my reintroduction to Pokémon a couple of years ago, and having both in the same package seems like a win-win scenario to me. I also have every intention of using a Fairy type Pokémon as a core member of my party, but I have not yet decided on who. Sylveon seems like a good choice, as I’ve certainly enjoyed my time with every previous Eeveelution that I’ve used. The recently leaked Klefki, on the other hand, is an interesting looking dual-type of Steel and Fairy persuasions. I just worry that having two Pokémon that fall under the banner of Steel types might present mildly lopsided battle strategies.

Finally, Noivern is a Pokémon I’ve had my eye on for a while. I wasn’t immediately sold on the Dragon-Flying dual type from the early reveal trailers, but now I feel it might be a good way to complement the typings of my other party members. As for the remaining two spots, I’m open to basically anything. As Fairy is already confirmed as being supereffective against both Dragon and Dark type Pokémon, an Ice Pokémon seems a little redundant, and a Fighting type would only be particularly useful against Normal type Pokémon. To that end, I think my fifth and sixth party members will likely fall somewhere in the spectrum of Fire, Electric, Psychic, Grass, Rock, or Bug – the first four of those typings being tried-and-true, with the latter two being types that I have significantly less experience with.

With all that in mind, this is but a teaser of what is to come. I’m doing little more than laying the groundwork of what I hope to gain from the 3DS Pokémon games, and these plans could change significantly between now and the days following my acquisition of Pokémon Y. I’m still blown away by what the 3DS has managed to do for the handheld side of the gaming industry, and Pokémon X and Y look like they are going to tread even further into bold new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...