.

.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Anime Update #3: "I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!!!"

The second intro theme to Death Note is beyond annoying. I really can't stand the sound of death metal or thrash metal in the first place, but this song embodies everything obnoxious about the genre. That aside, the series is shaping up to be pretty good. It's not as perfect as many people have expressed (at least, in my opinion) but it is easily one of the best mainstreamed anime in recent years. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the series and I will post a review of it once I've completed Death Note, but for the time being I'm going to take a little break from the series as I feel that I've been rushing through it more to finish it than actually taking time to savor the series.

Mush-Shi is shaping up to be fantastic and I'm only through the first seven episodes. I've been watching this series with large gaps between each episode and it's paying off through how much I genuinely enjoy the series' odd charms. The Pillow Pathway was an absolutely phenomenal episode, as were the first two episodes of the series. Even episodes I felt were notably weaker than the rest, such as Those Who Inhale the Dew, are much better than that of many other anime. Expect a review of this series sometime in early Fall, but no sooner than that as I really want to take my time and enjoy this series.

As for one of my longtime favorite franchises, It's been about a month since I finished watching Gundam Wing. I've watched three episodes of After War Gundam X and it's a very interesting spin on an old formula that I hope keeps the series going strong. I still haven't picked up from where I left off in Zeta Gundam and the reason for that is that I intend to pick up the DVDs in the Fall because of of much I loved what I saw of the series so far. I might pick back up on MS Igloo with Apocalypse 0079. I have considered a few times in picking up the DVD of Gundam F91, but if I do so it will be with the intent of starting Victory Gundam directly thereafter (and as I stated in a previous post, Victory Gundam will likely be one of the later Gundam series I watch). SEED Destiny is the only series I'm not looking much forward to, but I may choose to complete that by the end of this year as well, seeing as how I've already knocked three major Gundam series out of the way before July.

I'm definitely going to pick up season one of Axis Powers: Hetalia when it hits store shelves this September. I'm also considering picking up Eden of the East along with it, as that series comes out only a week or two later. I'm eager to pick up season two of Full Metal Alchemist, as season one was near perfect, but at the same time I don't want to rush through the series. When I do get around to picking season two up, however, it will likely be with Conqueror of Shamballa in the same purchase.

I started Macross Frontier a while back and never got very far in it. That's not to say that it wasn't entertaining, as it was very much so, but it kind of got put on the backburners (so to speak) in favor of Death Note, 009-1, and and Mushi-shi. As I've mentioned in the past, there are a number of older anime films and series I have yet to watch, such as Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira. I feel like these are all a sort of "I'll get to them when I get to them" sort of a situation, as they all look good, but I'm in no real rush to complete them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...